Charles T. Dillard wrote:
I installed openssl 0.9.7d on my Mandrake 2.4.21-0.13mdk with no
apparent errors.(The only ./Configure argument was linux-elf.)

Two questions:

When I type

openssl command

at the prompt where command is cipher or rsa or any command argument, I
get "command not found" There is no /usr/bin/openssl. What went wrong,
can someone point me in the right direction? THanks.

By convention, software that you compile from source installs under /usr/local. OpenSSL used to default to putting stuff under /usr/local/ssl. It's probably still doing something similar.

Also, I notice that when I try to install openldap 2.0.27-2.8.0.1, I get
a "can't find dependencies" error for libcrypto.so.2. My only libcrypto
file from openssl is libcrypto.so.0.9.7. SHouldn't there be something
newer than this?

This was an RPM install of openldap? It won't find your source installation of openssl. If you want to install rpm's that depend on OpenSSL, your easiest course will be to simply install (or update to) your distribution's latest updated version of OpenSSL. It should have the latest security fixes despite its relatively old version number.

Paul Allen

--
Boeing Phantom Works                   \ Paul L. Allen, (425) 865-3297
Math & Computing Technology              \ [EMAIL PROTECTED]