On Wed, Jul 28, 2004, Laurent Mesuré wrote:

> Dr. Stephen Henson wrote:
>
> >Do you mean you are using 0.9.7d release? If so get the latest 0.9.7-stable
> >snapshot: it fixes several bugs (including that one) which are in 0.9.7d.
> >

> As i'm using RPM packages, i had to wait for the correct package.
> Otherwise i would have some interference between package software and
> non package software.
>
> Anyway, it didn't give me anything about this bug. What it is, and why

There were a few bugs in OpenSSL 0.9.7d relating to the backport of
unique_subject. This meant (among other things) that you get that error
message when unique_subject is not present in a config file because it hasn't
been cleared by the code. By itself this isn't really an error.

There are various other bugs in the openssl utility related to this backport
which can cause it to crash when using the ca utility.

They are all fixed in the latest snapshot but for various reason there hasn't
yet been an official release with the fixes included.

More details (and patches) are in the archives where this issue has been
reported several times before.

Steve.
Funding needed! Details on homepage.