On Thu, Aug 05, 2004, Mayers, Joshua wrote:

> Hello,
>
>     I'm working with an appliance that requires v3 certificates.
>
>     When I create a self-signed cert using OpenSSL with the following
> commands, the cert that results is v1.
>
>     I did not find any documentation (man page, openssl.org) on
> generating SSL v3 certs with openssl.
>
>     Is there a way to force a self-signed cert to be of version 3?
>
> Command I used to self-sign the csr:
>     openssl x509 -req -days 365 -in cert.csr -signkey cert.key -out
> cert.crt

You need to specify appropriate extensions via a config file. There aren't any
default ones for the 'x509' utility so it uses none.

If you use 'openssl req -x509' instead to create the certificate it will
automatically use the correct extensions.

Alternatively you can use the command line options:

-extfile /path/to/openssl.cnf -extensions v3_ca

with the 'x509' utility.

Steve.
Funding needed! Details on homepage.