Then I tried importing a certificate signed by my CA. But now it's complaining that "Input not an X.509 certificate". Is it because my extension is ".pem"?

Yes! I found the answer by going through some old threads in the Sun Microsystems website. I had to convert the PEM certificate to a DER file in order for it to work.

Anyway, I hope the rest of the process runs smoothly.

Liam