Hi,
Somehow it didn't appear in the mailing list. I am submitting it again.

Does Netscape international step-up work with openssl s_server?

My initial thought was that one just needed the global_id certificate with
s_server and hit it with an old Netscape browser like Communicator 4.7
International version.

I have Netscape Communicator 4.7 installed on my Windows machine. "about:"
tells me:
"This version supports International security with RSA Public Key
Cryptography, MD2, MD5, RC2-CBC, RC4".

According to the Netscape documentation
(http://developer.netscape.com/tech/security/stepup/overview.html#configure)
, this version of browser should do step-up handshake if the server presents
a global_id certificate. I am running OpenSSL (0.9.7)  s_server on my Linux
machine and use the global certificate from Verisign. Here is how I start
the server:
openssl s_server -accept 443 -cert cert-global-server-id-chained.cer -key
verisign-global-server-1024key -state -debug -www

Now when I access this server using the Communicator, it doesn't step-up.
Rather it just completes the handshake using EXP-RC4-MD5 which is export
mode 40-bit RC4-MD5 cipher. I was expecting to see it step up to the next
strong cipher because the server presented the global_id cert.

I will really appreciate suggestions/comments.

Thanks,
Imran.