You have to specify a config file using the -config parameter of openssl.
Even as "ca" "req" needs a configuration file to get specific information
like keylength or the distinguishedName structure.

My experience is that openssl does not find the default config file so you
have to set either the environment variable (don't know the correct name) or
you have to take the parameter "-config <filenpath and name>".

Regards