Hello Jim,

Jim Adams wrote:
I am experiencing a problem with self-signed server certificates generated by
z/OS's pskkyman program in my openssl-enabled telnet client.  Usually, a self-
signed certificate will generate an error of "self-signed certificate" in my
certificate verify callback routine.  If I add the certificate to openssl's root
store, further verifys are OK.  The z/OS certificates, which are self-signed,
generate 2 errors:  "unable to get local issuer certificate" and "unable to verify
the first certificate".  I have previously only seen these errors on CA-signed
certs.  Can anybody tell me how a self-signed cert can generate these errors
instead of the "self-signed certificate" error?  I have attached the certificate
in question.  Any help would be appreciated.

My guess is:

Since the Key usage states that ths certificate may not be used
to sign certificates:
[...]
            X509v3 Key Usage: critical
                Digital Signature, Non Repudiation, Key Encipherment, Data Encipherment
[...]

OpenSSL will not accept it as a CA certificate...

Bye

Goetz

--
Goetz Babin-Ebell, software designer,
TC TrustCenter AG, Sonninstr. 24-28, 20097 Hamburg, Germany