On Wed, Sep 15, 2004, Pavel wrote:

> Accorind to RFC 2459:
> If the Extended key usage field is flagged critical, the certificate MUST be used
> only for one of the purposes indicated.
> If the extension is flagged non-critical, then it indicates the intended purpose or
> purposes of the key, and may be used in finding the correct key/certificate of an
> entity that has multiple keys/certificates. It is an advisory field and does not
> imply that usage of the key is restricted by the certification authority to the
> purpose indicated. Certificate using applications may nevertheless require that a
> particular purpose be indicated in order for the
> certificate to be acceptable to that application.

There are various security reasons why that old definition was inadvisable at
the best of times. One piece of software (which could *not* be ignored by CAs)
rejected any certificate with a critical extension no matter what it was. This
has resulted in many CAs being forced to make extensions non-critical for
interoperability reasons.

There was also an old definition which said "if an extension is non critical
its only advisory" to which I'd argue that's not a very good idea for
basicConstraints because then anyone could be a CA.

RFC3280 which obsoletes RFC2459 says about extended key usage (section 4.2.13):

>If the extension is present, then the certificate MUST only be used for one
>of the purposes indicated.

Steve.
Funding needed! Details on homepage.