Hi,

I've been using OpenSSL for a while on Linux, and now ported some application to Windows<xx>, where <xx> should indicate any of the MSWindows systems from 98 and newer.

I've read the FAQ which indicates that I need to seed the PRNG on Windows systems (as opposed to Linux).

On my Windows XP Pro, I *didn't* do any seeding, but still RAND_status() returned 1
This seems a little strange to me, as it indicates that it is already seeded with enough data/entropy.

Are there any special treatment on Windows XP or would I get the same result on e.g. Windows98?
(I don't have such a beast, so I can't just test it)
And where do this seeding come from?

I have to mention that I use the precompiled Win32 OpenSSL v0.9.7d from Shining Light Productions.

Can someone enlighten me on this 'problem'.

Best regards
Egon Andersen