Bernhard Froehlich wrote:

>> one silly question: if I generate a request with
>> openssl req -new -keyout mykey.pem -out myreq.pem 265
>> the private key in mykey.pem is encrypted or not?
>>
> Since my openssl asks me for a password when using "openssl req -new -keyout
> mykey.pem -out myreq.pem", I'd think the key is encrypted. Maybe your openssl.conf
> can influence that. If you want to be sure the key is unencrypted use the option
> "-nodes".

Sure, but the story is a little bit more complicated. I have some systems running
standalone, and far from here. I want to control them using VNC and encrypting the
traffic between me and the systems. Those systems are accessible also to other people,
so if I install a certificate with unencrypted private key, encrypting is useless,
since a thirty part has private key too.

BTW, my doubt is: under pcAnywhere and apache I issue certificates with private key
taht, AFAIK, should be RSA encrypted, and I supply a password for the pem I generate
with openssl req. Therefore how pcAnywhere and apache handle this situation, since
they both DON'T ask me for any password?

Ciao