I've started to look at this in the archives and it appears the Microsoft
PFX format can't be easily manipulated with the existing OpenSSL library
functions.  As it stands, my attempts to access the data fails at a call to
PKCS12_verify_mac() where the same call works for other P12 files.

Is there some way of loading a PFX that I'm missing or has anyone already
written a routine to deal with the differences in format?

and then destroy it.