Oh.. man, I always answer my own questions. What's happening here is that the rollback protection afforded for version 2 -> 3 in the client-key-exchange message, is also hurting me when I'm trying to make a TLS connection an SSL3 connection.. which means I have to either maintain two separate master secrets, or just implement TLS. Damn. Anyone want to please tell me I'm wrong and its something simpler and I don't have to implement a whole other protocol?

                                - Peter