Hi,

I have a question about encryption and decryption. Suppose I have a
file "hello" which contains six bytes content of "hello". Then I do
"openssl enc -e -des-ede -a -salt -in hello -out hello.enc". I am
asked to give a password. Then I decrypt it, by
"openssl enc -d -des-ede -a -salt -in hello.enc -out hellonew". I am
asked to give the password. If I give a wrong password, the decryption
will fail and send out error message of "1432:error:06065064:digital
envelope reoutines:EVP_DecryptFinal:bad decrypt:evp_enc.c:450:".

I am wondering why the decryption routine knows if a decryption is
correct or not without comparing with the original plaintext file? Is
there something inside the encrypted file "hello.enc" contains some
data which do the magic?

David