At 05:17 PM 1/11/2005 +0100, Erlend writeth:
>Hi
>
>Would like to see a COM/ActiveX interface to OpenSSL, so I can use it from
>vb (and possibly other languages too)
>
>Best regard
>
>Erlend S. E.

Hello Erlend,

I agree that this would be a really nice feature for VB users - not having
to manually load the DLL and define prototypes and all that complex stuff
VB doesn't do very easily...just hooking into a type library and having
immediate access to all the exposed interfaces would be fantastic.

However, the OpenSSL team would have to think about all of the implications
of doing this in terms of what it means for OpenSSL in terms of overall
system security - what would happen if someone made raw COM calls using an
Internet Explorer script?  Since OpenSSL has something called BIO for
generic I/O, this could potentially open a security loophole in IE to write
to any file on the user's system or create new ones - and since a BIO can
represent a socket, this opens the door for installing spyware, desktop
icons, and viruses without a user noticing and certainly without
permission.  Stuff like this will have to be addressed before a COM
interface is created for increasing programmatic ease-of-use.

Thomas J. Hruska
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Shining Light Productions
Home of the Nuclear Vision scripting language and ProtoNova web server.
http://www.slproweb.com/