Would openssl be a good choice for creating my own certs?  The host for my service is not on a intranet.  It is a seperate entity such as godaddy.com.  Is it still possible?

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
Usually I lurk but I can offer some suggestions.

1) it will depend on the hosting company

2) certs are the same. The issue is that windows knows about certs from companies like verisign and does know know about anything you generate yourself - however technically they are the same.

3) Technically it should be possible to install your own root cert in a client computer. This would make sense if you are doing this in an intranet environment (IE say corporate or government). This totally defeats the premise of having a certification authority. However we all know there is no security in most client computers anyways. (ha!) Furthermore any felon in jail can have his lawyer register a company and then obtain a legit cert from pretty much any official certification authority.