> I'm no expert, so please verify anything that you don't trust here.
> Block algorithms typically don't operate the way a cube operates.  They
> are named a block algorithm because they operate on a single block in,
> single block out.

ok per block, it is still "a function (on a set) = output"

>They have the same starting point and rules for each
> block.  Certainly there's more than one way to go about decoding a block
> to reach the same answer.

yes but then all those combos would be possible "keys" for that block.

for example in the cube, if u turn one whole edge 4 times 90deg around an
axis, you are back to where you start. so there will be multiple here too
but:
for example if i define a 90deg rotation as F(edge) I can always say I have
rotated the edge by (k mod 4)F(edge)

>If the method works for the all possible
> blocks then you could say you have a key for the particular scenario.

right... similarly all possible 4n+1,2,3 would give the same for all "n".

> Logically though the only one that concerns you is the easiest method to
> find.  Currently no encryption algorithm is unbreakable.

I am just wondering what makes them different....

>They are just
> sufficiently difficult to break with relation to the data they protect.
> It's absolutely possible to determine the session key for any algorithm
> given sufficient plain and encrypted data and enough computing power.
> The only variables are how much sample data and computing power you need.

hmm..thanks, will look into it.

-Alok