On Mon, Jan 24, 2005, michal wodzinski wrote:

> On Sat, 22 Jan 2005, Dr. Stephen Henson wrote:
>
> > On Fri, Jan 21, 2005, michal wodzinski wrote:
> > > Only difference in program is that i read in stdin into a readonly
> > > BIO, and therefor am able to rewind it. Whereas the openssl smime
> > > borks on stdin, and only accepts a file.
> >
> > Well 0.9.7 does but the version of the smime utility in 0.9.8-dev can handle
> > single pass processing with the -sign option and can quite readily use
> > stdin.
>
> How is this done? RO BIO? tempfile? I currently don't watch the CVS
> repository :)

The digests are calculated with an appropriate BIO chain when
SMIME_write_PKCS7() is called and the signed PKCS#7 structure generated at the
same time. It is then output.

> > Currently only -sign can do that, -verify may in future. Getting the other
> > content types working with single pass processing is much harder.
>
> Hmm, wouldn't reading stdin into a RO BIO also make other content types
> working? I currently have both a working verify and sign, using the
> stdin->ROBIO method.

The other types can use stdin but they wont stream. There's no easy solution
because the content is part of the ASN1 structure for the other types.

Steve.
Funding needed! Details on homepage.