I've always used the -days option to set the end date,
and never really needed to set the start date - if the
start date is in the future you can sequester the
certificate until that date arrives (modulo distribution
issues).  I think I use -days 400 for a one-year cert
(one year, one month grace, plus a few days extra).
I guess it all depends on how fine-grained control over
dates that you need for your particular application.

I don't expect it would be TOO difficult to put the
options into req, but I've had a policy here of trying
not to modify the source code, which in 20/20 hindsight
may or may not have been a Good Thing.

Olaf Gellert wrote:
Hi,

I was just searching for a way to create root certificates
with specified startdate and enddate using openssl. The
"openssl ca" tool supports the according arguments
-startdate and -enddate, but obviously "openssl req",
which is used to generate root certificates, does not.
Any other way to do this (besides changing the system
time)?

Olaf

-- "An Internet-connected Windows machine is tantamount to a toddler carrying a baggie of $100 bills down a city street..."

Charles B (Ben) Cranston
mailto: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://www.wam.umd.edu/~zben