when you say it works on localhost but not 'live', i wonder:
is your firewall blocking the port you're trying to connect to?

Aka: can you connect to the server using a
different clinet, eg: telnet directly to the port
and see if the connection is accepted, just
to make sure the basic connectivity is there?