Ragnar Paulson wrote:

[...]
I'm looking for a pointer to more documentation of how to use the openssl API,
I don't really want to read the source or learn the internals.   I have found
the following two references:

SSL and TLS: Designing and Building Secure Systems by Eric Rescorla
Network Security with OpenSSL: Cryptography for Secure Communications by John
Viega, Matt Messier, and Pravir Chandra

Which of these should I buy, or is there a more recommened alternative.

I like to recommend the second one but I do not know the first.
From what you write about your knowledge and intentions I think you can find useful information in Viega et al. Have a look at http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/openssl/toc.html to see the table of contents, maybe it helps you to decide.

Thanks again,
Ragnar

Hope it helps,