A very important adjunct to step 4 is getting the
private key associated with the certificate into
the server.  If step 1 is done ON THE SERVER
COMPUTER and it is not reinitialized in the meantime
etc etc then in step 4 the association between the
certificate and key should be recognized.  However,
the diagnostic implies that this failed to happen.

Can you confirm that step 1 was done on exactly the
same computer that is the server in step 4?

ray v wrote:

Thanks for you input Rafeeq

Ok so maybe I should clearify the situation a bit more. I have the official openssl O'Reilly book so I didn't really need help using the openssl command line. I have an on going and viable CA and have been issueing certificate for authentication for sometime now.

My question is mainly concerned with getting LDAPS
working on M$ NT2003 servers. Here are the steps I've
taken.

1. Using M$ cert mananger create a certificate
request.
2. Get request to Linux/openssl for signing

I use the openssl extension process to include "Server
Authentication" according to the M$ document link
contained within this e-mail.

3. Sign certificate and openssl x509 -in msserv.cert
-noout -text -purpose to test certificate

4. Get new certificate over to M$ NT2003 and inport
into the computer's person certificate storage.

Also note that we have include our root certificate in
the trusted root storage area on the server.

port 636 doesn't indeed appear to be listening however
all attempt to connect fail. NT logs show "can't find
private key for server certificate".

If anyone has successfully made NT 2003 work with
openssl certificate on LDAPS or has an idea why the
server can't find the private I would be appreciative.

thanks group!

--- Rafeeq Ahmed <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Hi ray

check this
http://www.madboa.com/geek/openssl/

regards
Rafeeq

On Mon, 28 Feb 2005 10:35:27 -0800 (PST), ray v