Thanks,
So BIO_new_socket would create a BIO around the socket of my choosing which would be more portable than doing BIO_set_fd afterwards? But then the current code uses BIO_new_ssl_connect to create the bio in the first place. I assume I would replace this with BIO_new_socket and BIO_new_ssl except I'm not sure how this chains the BIOs together. I would use BIO_push I assume but I'm not exactly sure of the order. And then the other thing, which probably has something to do with all of this, is that I can't seem to close the connection. It closes on exit of the program but BIO_ssl_shutdown, I guess, only shuts down the SSL bio and just doing BIO_get_fd and then "close" on the resulting socket doesn't seem to work. "lsof -i" still lists it as open until the program exits.

                - Peter