On Thu, Mar 03, 2005, Zerg wrote:

> Hi,all.
> Sorry for my english.
> Please help me to clarify the using of the such ASN1 structure in
> RDNSequence and in SubjectDirectoryAttributes.
> Why do they have different ASN1 structure, if they play the same role but in
> different contexts.
>
> For what reason there is  "SET OF"? OpenSSL always used only one SEQ in
> every SET.

OpenSSL does that because that's what the standards require. If it did
anything else certificates wouldn't be compatible with other implementations.

OpenSSL doesn't *always* use only one SET OF member it just usually does.
There are ways of using more than one its just that in practice this is very
rarely used.

>  SubjectDirectoryAttributes ::=   SEQUENCE  SIZE  (1..MAX)  OF
> Attribute
>      Attribute ::= SEQUENCE {
>      type      Attributetype,
>      values    SET OF AttributeValue } Why "SET OF" is used exactly in this
> place instead of  place of previous ASN1 Structure.
> By the way, does OpenSSL support of "SubjectDirectoryAttributes"
> extension?If not,In what the most painless way this can be done?

You'd have to ask the standards groups why they chose to do things that way.

OpenSSL doesn't directly support that extension but you can add it using the
mini-ASN1 compiler in 0.9.8.

Steve.
Funding needed! Details on homepage.