Hola!

Dr. Stephen Henson wrote:
On Tue, Mar 08, 2005, Antonio Ruiz Martínez wrote:

Hello!

   I have been looking at how I can set the length of the iv parameters
in a cipher algorithm.
   I saw that we can put the IV with EVP_CipherInit_ex(ctx, NULL, NULL,
key, iv, do_decrypt);
   However this length, in RC2_CBC, is 8 bytes I don't know if it is
possible to use another different length. I think that it is possible
because Mozilla uses it, but I'm not sure if a mistake of its
implementation.
   I would like to use 12 bytes like mozilla. How could I set the iv
length in Openssl for any algorithm?

The obvious question is why?

I'm not sure what you mean about Mozilla.

Thanks for your answer.
Mozilla is using a IV of 12 bytes length. I don't know why. That is the reason because I asked if it was possible to use another differente length in the IV.

Regards,
Antonio.

For the cipher modes that use an IV the IV length is equal to the block length
of the cipher. That's fixed by standards and there's no way to change it.

Steve.
Funding needed! Details on homepage.