From:   [EMAIL PROTECTED] on behalf of Edward Chan
Sent:   Thu 4/7/2005 11:42 PM
To:     openssl-users@openssl.org
Subject:        Use of Engines
Is it required to call ENGINE_init()?

Or is this sufficient

ENGINE* e = ENGINE_by_id(id);
ENGINE_set_default(e, ENGINE_METHOD_ALL);

I have looked in various code, and I mostly see the latter.  But in the
stunnel code, I see them doing

ENGINE* e = ENGINE_by_id(id);
ENGINE_init(e);
ENGINE_set_default(e, ENGINE_METHOD_ALL);

Also, I tried using a card from nCipher.  But when I specify
ENGINE_METHOD_ALL, it seems to be failing in the call to
ENGINE_set_default_RSA().  When I dig deeper, it looks like it is trying to
load ubsec.dll which is missing.  I've installed all the drivers that came
with the card.  Does that mean OpenSSL does not support that card?  Or does
it mean the card doesn't support RSA operations?  What am I doing wrong?

Thanks,
Ed