On Mon, Apr 18, 2005, Christian Gütter wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I would like to use OpenSSL 0.97c for Windows to decrypt S/MIME encrypted
> messages which contain attachments. I am especially interested in
> decrypting the attachments.

0.9.7c is old, you should use the latest version. 0.9.7g if possible.

> I had expected that the new file dest.msg would contain the decrypted
> message. But as you can see in [2], the new file is still encrypted.

No it isn't :-)

> [2] Destination File

> MIAGCSqGSIb3DQEHAqCAMIACAQExCzAJBgUrDgMCGgUAMIAGCSqGSIb3DQEHAaCAJIAEggazQ29u
> [snipped more data]

If you look in that header you'll see it is *signed*. That's how S/MIME
clients handle "signed and encrypted" email.

If you do:

openssl smime -verify -in destination -out message

it will attempt to verify the message (which will probably give an error
becaue it can't find the signing CA) and write the content out to the file
'message'.

The file 'message' should contain the original email with any attachments.

Steve.
Funding needed! Details on homepage.