On Fri, May 13, 2005, pana wrote:

> Thanks a lot for reply.
>
> About 0.9.8-dev version: where can i find it?
> I searched for it but I have found nothing useful
>
> Instead about extension: I need a human redable string, I want use
> this extension to insert a word (ex. a name, a work), but I need to
> insert it when I create the certificate.
> The syntax woulb be myextension=ASN1:UTF8String:xxxxx ?
> I obtain an error "unknown extension name". why?

Well provided you are relying on OpenSSL for the processing you should have
no problems. However you shouldn't expect other software (such as MSIE) to
display the string because it doesn't understand the extension.

There is already a string extension you can insert into certificates called
nsComment which may suit your needs.

OpenSSL 0.9.8-dev is available from ftp://ftp.openssl.org/snapshot/ with a
filename of the form openssl-SNAP-<date>.tar.gz, for example:

ftp://ftp.openssl.org/snapshot/openssl-SNAP-20050513.tar.gz

Steve.
Funding needed! Details on homepage.