It's been a few years since I've worked on HP-UX and I don't have access to a machine running that OS currently.
....but here's what I remember..... I hope it's accurate. I've plucked a couple settings out of old Makefiles that I've saved - you'll have to see where to add the settings in your Makefiles.

1) You almost always need to add some standard defines to get the HP C compilers to include common things. If you use Imake, you'll see it adding stuff like this.

CCOPTIONS = -Ae
STD_DEFINES = -Dhpux -DSYSV -D_HPUX_SOURCE

2) The compile-time linker doesn't automatically configure the executable stub to use the "SHLIB_PATH" environment variable. (Gotta love that HP chose not to use LD_LIBRARY_PATH that just about everyone else uses and also deactivated it's use by default.....) So, I pass a flag to the linker.

SHLIBLDFLAGS = -b

HP also doesn't have "ldd", but does have "chatr" (maybe it's "chattr"....you'll have to look). That utility can be used to inspect your executable stub to determine the shared library locations....either compiled in or dynamically located, and also whether the SHLIB_PATH is used by the run-time linker. Very nice things to know.

Best regards,
Lance
http://www.newparticles.com/

Silvia Gisela Pavon Velasco wrote:

I have sent this before and got no answers, It may look simple, but It's
not. Please give me some ideas, or at least if there's someone who has
installed on HP-UX 11.0 with no problems, tellme what C compiler do you
have or if you did something more besides de quick installation
instructions.

I'm looking for someone who has installed OpenSSL on an HP-UX 11.0 system.
I've tried to installit and I can't get OpenSSL to work there.

I have:
- HP-UX 11.0 operating system
- Perl 5.8.5
- HP C/ANSI C Developer's Bundle for Hp-ux (S800) wich includes HP C/ANSI C
Compiler

I'm trying to install the file openssl-0.9.7g.tar.gz following the quick
installation instructions and everything goes ok, the log's doesn't show
any errors at all (I have log files in case someone wants to take a look at
them) and the command line tool works just fine just adding the correct
path to my PATH variable.

The problem is when I try to use the libraries in a C program. I try to run
a simple example code I got from the OpenSSL homepage and I got an error
saying that
It can't find the openssl/xxxx.h included file:

cc prueba.c

cpp: "prueba.c", line 2: error 4036: Can't open include file
'openssl/evp.h'.

Even IF I compile with the -I option It doesn't find the functions:
cc prueba.c -I/usr/local/ssl/include
cc: "prueba.c", line 32: warning 604: Pointers are not
assignment-compatible.
cc: "prueba.c", line 32: warning 563: Argument #3 is not the correct type.
/usr/ccs/bin/ld: Unsatisfied symbols:
  EVP_get_digestbyname (first referenced in prueba.o) (code)
  EVP_DigestInit_ex (first referenced in prueba.o) (code)
  OpenSSL_add_all_digests (first referenced in prueba.o) (code)
  EVP_DigestFinal_ex (first referenced in prueba.o) (code)
 EVP_MD_CTX_cleanup (first referenced in prueba.o) (code)
  EVP_MD_CTX_init (first referenced in prueba.o) (code)
  EVP_DigestUpdate (first referenced in prueba.o) (code)

I have tried everything I know to find the libraries, from specifying in my
PATH variable the path of the installation; and even to copy the
/usr/local/ssl/include/openssl directory to the /opt/CC/include/CC dirctory
and still can't get it to work.

I have the feeling that I'm missing some configuration specific from my
operating system, that's why I'm asking for your help, cause I've really
have tried to make it work first (I have reinstalled twice openssl and the
C compiler).

At this point these are my env variables related to openssl:
OPENSSLDIR=/usr/local/ssl
PATH=$PATH:/usr/local/ssl/bin:/usr/local/ssl/include/:.
export PATH
SHLIB_PATH=/usr/local/ssl/lib   -- I added this
export SHLIB_PATH

Silvia Gisela
NOTA: La información de este correo es de propiedad exclusiva y
confidencial. Este mensaje es sólo para el destinatario señalado, si usted
no lo es, destrúyalo de inmediato. Ninguna información aquí contenida debe
ser entendida como dada o avalada por Alestra, sus subsidiarias o sus
empleados, salvo cuando ello expresamente se indique. Es responsabilidad de
quien recibe este correo de asegurarse que esté libre de virus, por lo
tanto ni Alestra, sus subsidiarias ni sus empleados aceptan responsabilidad
alguna.
NOTE:  The information in this email is proprietary and confidential. This
message is for the designated recipient only, if you are not the intended
recipient, you should destroy it immediately. Any information in this
message shall not be understood as given or endorsed by Alestra, its
subsidiaries or their employees, unless expressly so stated. It is the
responsibility of the recipient to ensure that this email is virus free,
therefore neither Alestra, its subsidiaries nor their employees accept any
responsibility.