The exchange below actually reflects what I think is the strongest argument
against the proposed design change.  Successful businesses always prefer
what works to something new or innovative.  With security, that tendency
should be even stronger, since an architecture can only be considered
"secure" after it is widely know and many experts have unsuccessfully tried
to discover weaknesses with it.

I would ask the consultant for a list of other organizations (preferably
where he/she did not influence the design) that use the proposed model.  The
model used by organizations that require the strongest security, such as
banking and the military, is the one your organization should adopt if you
want to convince customers that you provide the same level of security.
Claiming you have something "better" is an automatic red flag to any
potential customers with even minimal security experience.

Brant Thomsen
Sr. Software Engineer
Wavelink Corporation