pana wrote:
Hi,
I have installed openssl 0.9.7e but now I need to upgrade it to the
newer version 0.9.8.
I tried to uninstall the 0.9.7 version but I have not been able to do it.

if you really want to uninstall the debian supplied openssl version
use debian packet manager

I removed the ssl folder in /usr/local (debian) and I removed the main
folder openssl in my home, then I installed the 0.9.8 version but when
I check it with "openssl version" command I always obtain that my
openssl is 0.9.7e.

check your PATH environment variable

How can I uninstall correcly or upgrade openssl?

it should in general not really be necessary to uninstall an older
openssl version (just install them in different directories and set
the environment variables accordingly).

Nils