Hi Mat, Ted:

RC5 was invented by MIT Prof Ron Rivest in 1994 for RSA Security, and RSA received a US patent for RC5 in May of 1997. RSA licenses RC5 separately -- as well as part of its BSAFE SDKs (including the BSAFE Crypto-C Micro Edition, and BSAFE SSL-C Micro Edition:.) See: <http://tinyurl.com/aeosg>.

RSA never patented or otherwise restricted the use of Rivest's hashes: MD2, MD4, and MD5. Over the years, however, the integrity of each of these has been undermined by advances in cryptanalytic research. As far back as 1996, RSA Labs publicly urged developers to use the 160-bit SHA-1 hash, instead of MD5, and to plan for the migration of existing MD5 implementations.

Further research into MD5 vulnerabilities has led RSA to bluntly and repeatedly declare MD5 "broken" and insecure.

I don't know what your alternative are in OpenSSL, but reports earlier this year about a new attack on the 160-bit SHA-1 by Xiaoyun Wang, Yiqun Lisa Yin, and Hongbo Yu led many developers to shift to SHA-256 (and to call for a major AES-style development effort to explore alternative constructs for one-way functions.)

RSA Labs, for which I've been a consultant for many years, published a couple of summary notes on the SHA-1 developments at:<http://www.rsasecurity.com/rsalabs/>

Hope this helps.

Suerte,

                 _Vin

Ted Mittelstaedt <tedm_at_toybox.placo.com>  wrote:

md5 is not patented. des and 3des the patent expired. Blowfish was originally published not patented. That's all I know. With Cisco IPSec work just about all configs use md5, sha, des and 3des and Cisco isn't known for liking to pay royalties to anyone. If I were you I
would stick with md5, des and 3des.

Ted