The main reason why we take 512, 768, 1024, 2048, 4096,... bit is, that
these numbers are multiples of 8 ans though can be fractioned into bytes
(1024 bit = 128 byte).
Withe the increase of calculation power the key size was increased, in the
end by doubling the number of bits.

To answer our second question: A real 1024-bit-key must have at least 1017
bit, so it consits of 128 byte (= 1024 bit) with 7 leading zeros.

Regards

Thomas Beckmann