Alicia da Conceicao wrote:

Greetings:

The DES_ede3_cbc_encrypt() routine does not appear to properly pad
data to fill out the last block.

Consider, if the last block contains 4 bytes for the unencrypted
text "test", DES_ede3_cbc_encrypt() is only padding the remaining
characters with NULL characters:

        74:65:73:74:00:00:00:00

But shouldn't it be padded as follow:

        74:65:73:74:00:00:00:04

with the last byte containing the number of padded bytes.  Note that
if the last block is full, then an additional block of padding is
added with 00:00:00:00:00:00:00:08.

Is CBC padding in OpenSSL handled by a separate routine?  Shouldn't
CBC padding be handled by the CBC routine?

Thanks in advance.
Alicia.

I noticed also a make test persistent failure if DES is enabled in Sparc/Solaris9/gcc342 hosts (4host tested) in 0.9.8. In my journey around 0.9.8 to solve the problem, a segmentation fault is done calling des cbc encrypt/decrypt.....

Note also that i'd no problems at all to compile&test openssl until this last release.

--
Dott. Mag. Sergio Rabellino
Technical Staff

http://www.di.unito.it/~rabser