Hello,

I tried to sign a file using a private key (a file with a .key
extension) using this:
openssl rsautl -sign -in myfile.txt -inkey mykey.key -out signed

But I got a meesage "unable to load private key".

The private key was generated using a propiertary software (in fact, a
government-made software, not a known commercial solution) so I have
little information about how it was generated. Anyway, I tried to
follow the solution with NET files provided in the man pages (open it
in a binary editor and found the string "private-key" and then the
0x30 0x80 values, and copy everythin from here to the end of the file)
but I found that the file actually starts with 0x30 0x82, so I didn't
edit anything.

Is there another way to sign information using a ".key" file? It is
possible that the file could be in another format and the original
software just labeled it as ".key"?