Philippe de Rochambeau wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have just generated a self-signed certificate as follows:
>
> openssl x509 -req -days 365 -in my.domain.csr -signkey my.domain.key
> -out my.domain.cert
>
> What format is my.domain.cert now in?

OpenSSL uses PEM format as default. There are options
to generate other output formats (-outform) but this
is not necessary for curl.

> I am asking this because I am trying to use this certificate with curl
> as in
>
> curl --cert my.domain.cert https://my.secure.server
>
> But when I do that, I get the following message:
>
> curl: (35) unable to set private key file
>
> Any help with this matter would be much appreciated.

I guess you have to tell curl where to find the
secret key (the certificate file only contains your
public key). There is a curl option called "--key",
so something like:

curl --cert my.domain.cert --key your.key.file https://my.secure.server
will probably work.

Cheers, Olaf

--
Dipl.Inform. Olaf Gellert                  PRESECURE (R)
Senior Researcher,                       Consulting GmbH

                        A daily view on Internet Attacks
                        https://www.ecsirt.net/sensornet