Hi,
   Does anyone know why X509_NAME_add_entry_by_txt can
not add Email entry?
It works fine with openssl 0.9.6x, but when I link it
with 0.9.7d, it failed.

  I understand official PKI does not recommend Email
in subject, but I thought Openssl can handle that.

I'd appreciate it if you can shed light on this issue.

Thanks,
Dr. Lincoln

-- test code ---
/*
 * output is
 * Subject contains invalid field/value:
 *                  Email/[EMAIL PROTECTED]
 */

#include <string.h>
#include <openssl/ssl.h>
#include <stdio.h>
#include <stdlib.h>

int main(){

        X509_NAME *name = X509_NAME_new();
        char *field = "Email";
        char *value = "[EMAIL PROTECTED]";

        if (!X509_NAME_add_entry_by_txt(name, field,
V_ASN1_PRINTABLESTRING, (unsigned char *)value, -1,
-1, 0)){

                printf("Subject contains invalid field/value:
%s/%s\n", field, value);
                return 0;
        }
        return 0;