From:   Marco GRELLA [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent:   Mon 10/24/2005 5:50 PM
To:     openssl-dev@openssl.org; openssl-users@openssl.org
Subject:        Dynamic Engine problems with some 0.9.7x version
Hi all,

I have developed an OpenSSL Engine for our hw crypto accelerator.
I have no problems in using it as a dynamic engine with OpenSSL 0.9.8,
neither I have problems in loading it with OpenSSL 0.9.7d.

But I get problems with 0.9.7g/i (so, I guess 'h' too....) versions.
Here I report the output I get:

[EMAIL PROTECTED] hwa_engine]# openssl097i engine dynamic -c -vvvv -pre
SO_PATH:/usr/local/ssl7i/lib/engines/libhwa.so -pre NO_VCHECK:1 -pre
ID:hwa -pre LIST_ADD:1 -pre LOAD
(dynamic) Dynamic engine loading support
[Success]: SO_PATH:/usr/local/ssl7i/lib/engines/libhwa.so
[Success]: NO_VCHECK:1
[Success]: ID:hwa
[Success]: LIST_ADD:1
[Failure]: LOAD
4284:error:260B606D:engine routines:DYNAMIC_LOAD:init failed:eng_dyn.c:433:
      SO_PATH: Specifies the path to the new ENGINE shared library
           (input flags): STRING
      NO_VCHECK: Specifies to continue even if version checking fails
(boolean)
           (input flags): NUMERIC
      ID: Specifies an ENGINE id name for loading
           (input flags): STRING
      LIST_ADD: Whether to add a loaded ENGINE to the internal list
(0=no,1=yes,2=mandatory)
           (input flags): NUMERIC
      LOAD: Load up the ENGINE specified by other settings
           (input flags): NO_INPUT

Before starting digging into the code, is there anything obvious that I
am missing? What is different in 0.9.7x where x >= 'g' (at least)?
Probably we'll need backward compatibility to version 0.9.7g, so this is
an issue.

Best regards and thanks in advance,

Marco Grella