First a question for you.  Are you BASE64-encoding the buffer?
It's a modest pain but that encoding was designed to ensure
reliable transport of binary data between systems.

How?  The decoder isn't affected by systems that convert a newline
into a carriage-return/newline (e.g., when you transfer a file in
the default mode in FTP).  It isn't affected by protocols that
drop the top bit.  It can be reliably delivered by all of the
standard protocols.

Bear