When you say "data stream", how much data are you talking about?
If it's occasional data (e.g., updated every 5 minutes) it would
probably be easiest to use a HTTPS client using a "post" form.
That lets you use a standard web server on the other end.  One
less thing to worry about.

Another possibility is secured email, SMTP + TLS.  If you have a
relatively smart sensor (e.g., an embedded Linux system) you could
 write a straightforward mail client that sends mail to the local
mail server (on localhost).  You can then let
sendmail/postfix/exim/whatever forward the mail to your system
with a secure connection.  Again, one less thing to worry about.

If it's close to continuous you should probably establish your own
network connection instead of trying to piggyback on an existing
service.

In any case you need to think about how you will handle network
connectivity problems... and you will have dropped connections,
high latency, etc.  Can you drop the data on the floor?  If not
you'll need to have an accurately timestamped data queue.  That's
not hard to do (hint: NTP), but it will drive the design.

Bear