Hi there!

First of all, happy holidays ;)

We're in the middle of the holiday season, so I do hope that there are
some people around that are still reading the list, maybe even while
being on holiday ;-)

I'm having a chicken-egg problem, that I'm hoping someone on this list
can help me with.

I'm using OpenSSL to run a small CA and take care of encryption for an
application that sends data over the internet. It is critical that all
communication between the various nodes of the application are
encrypted.

The issue I'm running into is as follows: A new node (A) is about to
make it's first connection to an already existing node (B). The new
node knows the IP address and port number by use of a configuration
file.

The already existing node (B) has the posession of the following data:

* The public root certificate
* The full list of all signed certificates
* The CRL
* It's own public certificate and private key for the certificate

The new node (A) has the posession of the following data:

* The public root certificate
* It's own public certificate and private key for the certificate

Some more information:
* Both the full list of signed certificates and CRL are not available
from any other source than the already existing node
* The commonName field is not to be used to identify the remote host,
since the value of the commonName field in the certificate of the
already existing node may vary

How can I make the new node (A) send an encrypted request to the
already existing node (B) while node A does not have any public
key/certificate information about the already existing node (B), and
still make sure that I am actually talking to B, and not some
Man-In-The-Middle ?

Thanks a bunch for any thoughts,

Nils

--