-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] Behalf Of Urjit Gokhale
Sent: Wednesday, February 08, 2006 11:07 AM
To: openssl-users@openssl.org
Subject: Re: Can I have SSL for peer authentication only? (and not for
data encryption)

Hi all,
Thanks for all those mails.
I now understand that I can use NULL cipher suite to exchange data without
encryption.
I understand that on specifying NULL cipher suite, ssl will use RSA
authentication.

I believe that I will have to call SSL_CTX_set_cipher_list with second
argument as "NULL"
                   SSL_CTX_set_cipher_list(ctx, "NULL");
And then the application should be able to communicate using SSL_read() and
SSL_write().
Please correct me if I am wrong.

Now I have a source for a server application. The server goes through the
following function sequence:
===========
SSL_context =  SSL_CTX_new(SSLv23_method());
SSL_CTX_use_certificate_file(SSL_context, fnbuf, SSL_FILETYPE_PEM);
SSL_CTX_use_PrivateKey_file(SSL_context, fnbuf, SSL_FILETYPE_PEM);
SSL_CTX_check_private_key(SSL_context);

port->ssl = SSL_new(SSL_context);
SSL_set_fd(port->ssl, port->sock);
SSL_accept(port->ssl);

SSL_read(port->ssl, pkt->ptr, pkt->nrtodo);
Now the questions I have here is:
1) Is the server using NULL cipher ?
2) If not, then which authentication and which cipher would it be using ?
3) If I want to force NULL cipher, do I give a call to
SSL_CTX_set_cipher_list() before I call SSL_new ?

If you want any more information in order to answer the above questions,
please do ask me.

Thanks,
~ Urjit