I am looking to encrypt/decrypt files using openssl with a public key..
I set up a test environment and created a key pair with:
openssl genrsa -des3 -out privkey.pem 2048
openssl rsa -in privkey.pem -pubout -out pubkey.pem
I can get encryption to work fine with:
openssl enc -aes-256-cbc -salt -in file -out file.enc
Obviously I am not using my public key however, just password.. so:
openssl bf -in file -out file.enc -salt -e -K rdm-pub.pem
This returns "iv undefined".
I dont understand if the IV is something I need to create myself? If I try with the -k {pass} I get non-hex digit etc.. I know this is all greatly simplified with gpg, but I would like to limit the amout of software that I install/patch on this server. What do I need to do to get this working?

Couple questions-