Are you making sure to link properly with the multithreaded libraries?
 (I think that was the default starting with VC++.net 2003, but I
can't recall.)

Incidentally, you can download a free ISO of VC++ 2005 Express Edition
from Microsoft.  The IDE doesn't support resource editing, but I'm
having no problems with it so far.

The debug libraries should have been put in out32dll.dbg\, as I recall
-- you may need to edit the settings for your debug versus release
builds to import from the correct version.  I don't have 2003, so I
can't test.

-Kyle H