kloomis wrote:
At 11:17 PM 3/6/2006 -0700, you wrote:
The practical upshot of this is, yes, your apache configuration needs
the privkey.pem file in order to do SSL/TLS at all.

I have myServer.csr, myServer.cert and myServer.key located in ssl.csr, ssl.crt, and ssl.key respectively. The ssl.conf points to the cert and the key. There is a privkey.pem in ssl.pem, but there is no reference in the ssl.conf to it.

I have these settings in the ssl.conf:

#   Server Certificate:
SSLCertificateFile /etc/httpd/conf/ssl.crt/myServer.com.cert

#   Server Private Key:
SSLCertificateKeyFile /etc/httpd/conf/ssl.key/myServer.com.key

#   Certificate Authority (CA):
SSLCACertificateFile /etc/httpd/conf/ssl.crt/myServer.com.cert

Should the private key be the .pem? Is the .key a public key? Where should it go?
The private key (which also includes the public part) should be in the file referenced by SSLCertificateKeyFile. I think you did name the private keyfile something.key. SSLCertificateFile points to the certificate file which was generated by the CA (key and certificate may be in the same file).

BTW, SSLCACertificateFile should contain you CA's cert.

Ken.
Hope it helps.
Ted
;)