I think you are right about the current behaviour
When filling up the intermediate stack, the x609 verify cert break when the
verifydepth is reached as far as I see from the code, but it seems that
the ssl library doesn't set a verify depth?

But in this case the verifydepth would work I think.

Yes but the client will still send the user certificate, one intermediate
CA and optionally the root CA. OpenSSL will use those to build as much of the
path as possible and try to complete it using the trusted store. When it
can't find the root CA in that store it will fail.

Steve.
Funding needed! Details on homepage.