On 5/6/06, Dr. Stephen Henson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

The patch in PR#1204 as I understand it turns a common false positive in
correct implementations into a much rarer false negative on incorrect
implementations so if nothing better can be thought of that may be a usable
compromise.

However if the bug is widespread that may result in an increase in failed
connections, possibly after the intial handshake I'd guess with "bad record
mac" errors.

So.  How best to handle this?  Tell admins in the release notes that
you're going to keep an eye on the number of 'bad record mac' errors,
and if there's a much larger number than normal that you're going to
send a message to syslog saying they should report back to the OpenSSL
team?

I believe the TLS block padding bug was related to early
implementations of TLS in IE 4 or 5, but I cannot remember the history
reliably.  (This is, IIRC, why TLS 1.0 is disabled by default in most
everything pre-IE7.)

-Kyle H