OpenSSL folks,

I'm having an issue when making an intermediate CA.

As I understand the specs (and please, correct me if I'm wrong), a root
(i.e. self-signed) CA can be a v1 certificate, but intermediate CAs must:
   (a) be v3
   (b) have SubjectKeyIdentifier
   (c) have AuthorityKeyIdentifier
   (d) have BasicKeyConstraints

Based on that I have a CA that is self-signed with only
crlDistributionPoint in it. I'm trying to create an intermediate CA with
the above extensions in it and I'm having a problem. I have this in my
config:

   [ v3_ca ]
   basicConstraints = CA:TRUE
   subjectKeyIdentifier = hash
   authorityKeyIdentifier = keyid:always

But when I run:
   openssl ca -config openssl.cnf -extensions v3_ca -infiles \
   certreqs/sub_ca.csr

I get:
   Using configuration from openssl.cnf
   Check that the request matches the signature
   Signature ok
   ERROR: adding extensions in section usr_cert
   32587:error:2207707B:X509 V3 routines:V2I_AUTHORITY_KEYID:unable to
   get issuer keyid:v3_akey.c:151:
   32587:error:2206B080:X509 V3 routines:X509V3_EXT_conf:error in
   extension:v3_conf.c:92:name=authorityKeyIdentifier,
   value=keyid:always

I have a similar setup using a non-openssl solution, thus I'm fairly
sure what I want to do is possible, I'm just missing something. Any help
would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
--
Phil Dibowitz