Hello,

> In my case I don't know who the special clients are, until they send
> their credentials. Only the clients know in advance that they are special.
>
> Is it possible for a client to unilaterally provide credentials without
> the server explicitly requesting them? If that were possible, I could
> stop requesting credentials from all clients.
According to SSL3/TLS1 specification server decides to request client
authentication or not.
Client authentication is triggered by server by sending to client
CertificateRequest handshake packet (in first client connection
or in re-handshake (renegotiation)).

> I can also operate a separate service port for clients that need to
> send credentials, but if I can avoid it, and not lose connectivity
> with misconfigured clients, I'd like to explore that option.
I think that in this situation only modifying OpenSSL code may help.
(workaround against bad configured client) - but this may only
complicate things.

There are some SSL record layer callbacks in OpenSSL which
may be used but this is bad solution :-)

Best regards,
--
Marek Marcola <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>