autoconf compiles small programs to check the expected behavior.  If
you wrote an m4 macro that checked against the value of the version
constant, you could check it.  (return 0 on success, 1 on error, I
believe is autoconf's concept.)

Note that I haven't looked into autoconf for about six years, and
things very well may have changed.

-Kyle H