Yes, you are right. The problem is gone away in VC 2005 ( Unfortunately I have only VC 2005 Beta version -old, but it works). VC 2001 plus service pack 6 was installed (which caused the problem).

Thanks for the help.

Shicai

"Dr. Stephen Henson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
On Wed, Jul 12, 2006, Shicai Hu wrote:

> Hi Dr. Henson:
>
> Thank you very much.
>
> I followed the build instruction of User Guide (page 31) to build. But when I run
>
> nmake -f ms\ntdll.mak
>
> command, first time an error message always pop up:
>
> "fips_premain_dso.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close. ...."

Are you using Visual Studio 2003? That has problems with the FIPS build. VC++
6 and VS 2005 should be OK though.

Steve.
Funding needed! Details on homepage.